The GMAT & GMAT Waiver Policy
In order to qualify for GMAT waiver consideration a student must have:
- An advanced degree (e.g., masters or higher)
- A combination of an undergraduate grade point average of 3.25 or
- five years or more of significant managerial experience.
A letter from your supervisor detailing your responsibilities and a personal interview with an MBA program advisor may also be required.
If you believe you qualify for a GMAT waiver, please download and complete the GMAT waiver consideration form and submit it with your application materials.
These requirements are only guidelines. Waivers are not guaranteed and must be approved by the Admissions Committee whose decisions are final.
- What is the GMAT?
The Graduate Management Admission Test® (GMAT®) is a standardized assessment—delivered in English—that helps business schools assess the qualifications of applicants for advanced study in business and management. Schools use the test as one predictor of academic performance in an MBA program or in other graduate management programs (from www.mba.com).
- Why is it important?
The GMAT is one way the UB/Towson MBA assesses the academic potential of prospective students. It’s a standard requirement of most MBA programs, especially if they are AACSB accredited. Also, if you do not meet the GPA requirement but score well on the GMAT, it can tip the scales in your favor.
- How should I prepare for the GMAT?
You should consider self-study or a GMAT prep course. There are many study guides available. The University of Baltimore offers a GMAT prep course as does the Princeton Review and Kaplan.
- What if I don’t score well on the GMAT?
If you do not earn an acceptable score for the UB/Towson MBA program, you will be required to retake the GMAT exam.
- What is the minimum score you will accept?
Every student’s situation is unique and what is a minimum score for one person might not be the minimum score needed by someone else. The average over the past two years, however, is 500.
- Where can I schedule to take the test?
Visit www.mba.com to get all the necessary information pertaining to the GMAT.
- I want to start taking MBA classes but I need more time to prepare for the GMAT, can I start the program and submit my GMAT score later?
No. You can only take MBA courses if you are admitted into the program.
- Can I submit my unofficial GMAT score?
We need your official score on file but you may submit your unofficial scores. You can fax your unofficial score to 410-837-4774.
- I have over five years of work experience. Do I qualify for a GMAT waiver?
See the GMAT waiver policy outlined at the top of this page. Most of our students do not qualify for this waiver and must take the exam.
- What are the requirements to apply for a GMAT Waiver?
See the GMAT waiver policy outlined at the top of this page.
- How do I apply for a GMAT waiver?
Download the GMAT Waiver form, complete it, and fax to 410-837-4774, email it to email@example.com, or mail it to:
The UB/Towson MBA
Office of Admissions
1420 North Charles Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
- If I meet the waiver requirements, will I automatically get waived from the GMAT?
No. Your request will be considered and you will be notified if you are exempt.